Welcome to Cascade Canyon
We are a small, independent, progressive, co-educational K-8 school serving families in Marin County from our campus in Fairfax, California. Since the school opened in 1981, we have dedicated ourselves to offering progressive education in a small, community-oriented setting. Our multi-age classes of no more than fifteen students, in combination with our balanced, integrated curriculum foster our students' natural creativity and desire to learn. Come visit us and experience EXTRAORDINARY education.
At Cascade Canyon School:
We CHALLENGE our students to think deeply.
We ENGAGE students in learning.
We INSPIRE students to express themselves and become active in their community. We CONNECTstudents and families to our staff, each other, the school and communities around us.
In a visit to
our EXTRAORDINARY school, look for evidence of the following progressive practices:
- Active rather than passive learning
- Strong emphasis on critical thinking (students posing questions and analyzing, synthesizing, and applying knowledge)
- Students and teachers reflecting on student work
- Small class size
- Strong teacher-student relationships
- Acceptance of children's individual differences
- Attention to the whole child: intellectual, artistic, kinesthetic, social and emotional
- Balanced curriculum with enrichment through art, music, theater, languages and environmental studies
- A caring community that embraces diversity and works to promote sustainability